Here are a bunch of hacks that I know you're going to be glad to know. In fact, you're going to wish you'd known them all along!
1. To get red wine to release from fabric, who'd have guessed that white wine was the trick? Yup. Pour a small amount of white wine onto a white or light colored towel or cloth and dab it on the red wine spot. No need to rub and risk messing up your fabric. Just keep dabbing till the spot loosens and lifts.
2. To release the smell of cigarette or cigar smoke from fabric like your favorite coat or blazer that you don't want to take to the cleaner, or your drapes, try this: Fill a spray bottle with 1 part vodka (yes, vodka, but plain vodka, I can't vouch for the flavored ones.) and 2 parts lukewarm water. Spritz the garment or drapes, but don't saturate. It works better than the leading fabric freshener spray because it leaves no scent behind at all.
3. To get an oil spot out of a tablecloth or even a garment (meaning olive or vegetable oil, edible oils or even essential oils - NOT motor oil) right away, or as soon as you can, sprinkle a generous amount of baby powder or cornstarch onto the spot. let it sit for up to 5 hours. Brush away the powder and the stain should be gone, too.
4. This one is for clothing - if you put your shirt on after you've already put on deodorant and the deodorant gets on your shirt (I hate that!) here's the best way to get rid of the marks on your shirt: Use a pair of jeans! Yes, the denim will lift the deodorant marks if you rub the jeans onto them. Who knew?
5. Do you have curtains or drapes that won't stay closed? I know! It's so annoying. Here a tip: Close them together with wig tape. Yes, you read that right. Wig tape is available in any beauty supply store as well as online. It's meant to hold a wig on no matter the weather. And it's so cheap! A little wig tape will go a long way and will last a long time.
5A. An extra little tip: Use wig tape for your clothing, too! If you have a strap that slips or a button down shirt that has a gap oR a skirt that blows up with a breeze, use that wig tape to fix those problems. it will stick to any fabric and will stick to your skin. But, what about the skirt blowing up? Put small pieces of wig tape all around the inside hem of your shirt and then go back around and stick pennies to them. Boom! Done.
6. For sweat or ring-around-the-collar stains on clothing, she=Ray lemon juice on them before washing. it's better than ANY laundry pretreated and its cruelty free!
7. For a stuck zipper - on a pillow covering, a jacket, your fav pair of jeans, etc. try this: run a pencil down the zipper, or a crayon. The lead or the crayon wax should do the trick nicely.
8. To give new life, literally, to cut flowers, as they are just beginning to wilt, don't lament. Instead, take them out of the vase and refill the vase with warm water an a few tablespoons to 1/4 cup of sugar. Now cut the stems of your flowers, one at a time, about an inch to 2 inches above the original cut, but this time cut on the diagonal. Also, cut any leaves off of the stems so water isn't lost on leaves but keeps the stems strong and the blossoms vibrant. Place your flowers back into your vase and that should buy you a few more days!
9. To organize scarves in your closet: you need 1 hanger and as many shower curtain rings as you have scarves. Now open the shower curtain rings and secure them around the bottom of your hanger. When that's complete you can thread your scarves, each one through a separate ring.
10. Finally a hack for makeup wearers: if you've gotten a bit of sun but not enough to shop for new foundation makeup, or you just don't want to go looking for a new shade, pop open a turmeric capsule or grab some ground turmeric from your spice cabinet. Mix a very small amount of turmeric to your foundation makeup. The turmeric will add a yellow color to your foundation and should help make your foundation match your tan skin tone better.
That's all for now. Thanks for dropping by! Drop in again next Saturday for something different to lighten your load. Peace!